Sunday, October 31, 2010

The color changes on a triloom weaving

I wove a shawl on the triloom the other day. When I was first introduced to these looms, I couldn't quite picture how the color changes worked to create a plaid that was mirrored on both sides of the shawl. (Now I know that when I tie the color on at the right side, it is carried across and up the other side.) So, just for kicks, I took a picture of this piece in work every time I tied on a new color. This sequence will also give you an idea of how the weaving progresses, working in from the corners and down toward the bottom:














After I finished the weaving portion of the shawl, I tied on a nice thick fringe to give the piece some extra pizazz, and to hide the places where I tied on new colors. Here's the finished shawl, ready to come off of the loom:


3 comments:

  1. I love this shawl. I have noticed that many shawls loose the pattern in the center; making the shawl look mismatched and odd. Yours appears to be perfect!Did you have a patter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I wasn't getting comment notifications from the blog. Sorry! The answer is yes, I count how many spaces I have, and plan out my plaid ahead of time. I mark which pegs I'm going to change colors at by slipping a paper clip over them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete