Thursday, August 4, 2016

"Summer Greens" Rinsing out the dyed warp

I dyed my 15 yards of cotton warp the other day, and then bundled up the yarn in cellophane to sit for a day (and a half because I got distracted) in the Arizona heat. That gave the dye time to bond to the fibers. Then, it was time to carefully unwrap the yarn, and re-chain it up so the threads didn't get tangled up. In the past, I've just unrolled the warp bundles in a long row across the length of by back yard. But, it is August in Phoenix, and it is bloody hot out there.

So instead, I decided to try chaining the whole batch at once, so I didn't have to wander all over my back yard in the heat and sun. I knew that might make a mess (gloves and an apron were a must), so I got a laundry basket and lined it with a garbage bag. I unrolled the bundle a yard or so at a time, and chained it into the basket. This worked really well, and will be the method I use from here on out.  Everything was contained, and the dogs were less likely to interfere. (I have 4 medium sized, very friendly and curious dogs, that want to "help"  me with everything.)

There is probably a better way of rinsing out the warp chains, but I find that dumping them into the shower works decently well.

I didn't get quite all the excess dye out, but it is much better. And, I'll wash the finished fabric with some Synthropol when I'm done weaving, so that will get the rest out at that point.

So now, my warp chains are hung up to dry on a laundry line over the bath tub. I don't expect I'll have time to get to warping the loom until next week, so they have plenty of time to dry.

But just look at those colors! I'm sure they'll be lighter when they're dry, but they are gorgeous. Two dark greens, one light green, and two blue-greens. I can't wait to get this on the loom. These are definitely my colors. I'm planning on weaving three ruanas. I was going to put all three of them up for sale...but I may be very tempted to keep one for myself. Luscious, luscious color!

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

"Summer Greens" Dyeing the Warp

I've been working on getting the warp ready for a new set of woven ruanas. I had the yarn all measured out, but I had to wait until I had a chunk of about 4 hours that I could be uninterrupted...and when nobody was using the upstairs table. That took a bit of working, because with everyone home for the summer my schedule has been a bit choppy. But I managed to finagle the time tonight.

I tossed the chains in a bucket to soak while I went out and got dinner with my son, and played some Pokemon Go. Yes, I have gotten sucked in to that game. I tell myself it is so I can play with  my kids. Really. But in any case, when I got back I got all my gear together, covered the table with cellophane, and laid out my warp chains.

Then the fun part. Color!! I'm using the fiber reactive dyes from Dharma Trading Company this time around. I used two dark greens, a light green, and two blue-greens. I measured out the warp chains into three inch bouts, so I'll get variegated long stripes. I can't wait to see how it turns out! In my mind's eye, it is quite pretty.

But for now, I need to be patient. I have the yarn all dyed, and rolled up in the cellophane. Now I've got the rolls on the back patio, to sit in the Arizona heat for about 24 hours. That will give the chemical reaction time to take place, to bond the dye to the fibers. Waiting.... waiting...... I wanna see now!!