Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Oseberg style tablet weaving loom: first attempt


Here's the first attempt at warping up my new Oseberg style tablet weaving loom. (See my board on Pinterest for pictures of Medieval illuminations of this style of loom: http://pinterest.com/lissamc/medieval-tablet-weaving-equipment/ ) Eric made both it and the cone yarn holder for me, which I used while I was measuring the warp. I love having a wood worker in the house! I'll actually get to weaving tomorrow, once I find a shuttle that isn't already in use. Then we'll see if I did it right or not, and what I need to change for next time.


If the loom looks familiar, that is because it appeared in earlier pictures as my scarf and tie display rack. I ran a clothes line across the top, and clothes pinned my scarfs to the line so they could flutter gently in the breeze. In other words: Yes, I conned my sweetie into building me a reproduction Medieval loom under the pretense of needing a display stand for my business. I'm sneaky that way!

Once I get this figured out, I'll do a how-to blog entry. Right now, I'm seriously winging it. I have absolutely no instructions on this style of loom, so I'm kind of going on my experience in doing back-strap weaving, and crossing that with my inkle loom weaving experience. I think I have it...but we'll see.

It is an adventure!

9 comments:

  1. I am fascinated with the loom and look forward to seeing how your weaving turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that! Looking forward to seeing your weaving, and the 'How to'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool!


    Stopping by from Blogging Buddies
    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com/2011/11/meet-jack-and-dollar-dare.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see how your weaving turns out!

    dita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second everyone's opinion: I am looking forward to see how the weaving turns out.

    Cheers!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes winging it brings the best creativity! Can't wait to see how it goes! =)
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see how it works! I've never seen a loom like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by! I got the cards/tablets in order today, but I've been up to my eyeballs in other things. Hopefully tomorrow after work I can get some weaving done. (crossing fingers...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent, very good!
    A pioneer in card weaving in Brazil, for here alone I'm learning there is this kind of work.
    I follow your blog a little while to know that Brazil already has a fan. I would love to know this magnificent work personally one day.

    ReplyDelete