Monday, January 25, 2010

So much to do, So little time.


Two weeks from now, I'll be at a historical recreation event called Estrella War. (http://estrellawar.org/) This event is really the highlight of my year. I've been attending every one since my 17 year old daughter was a babe in arms, and have loved every single one. Well, I could have done without the weather some of the years (having your wood pile floating downstream on the flood waters was special), but we always manage to get through with laughter and camaraderie. My pictures from last year's event are here: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/lissamc/Estrella%2025/.

Basically, it is 5000 of my closest friends camping in the desert for a week, pretending that we are back in the Middle Ages / Renaissance. The knights in shining armor lead the charge of the clashing armies. The artisans hold classes and competitions and displays. The shop keepers tempt us with hand made goodies. Kings and Queens from around the Known World stroll, surrounded by their court and guard. Hounds course, children scamper, and over it all the tang of wood smoke floats on the air as folks cook gourmet meals over an open fire.

Can you tell I love this time of year?

However, there is a heck of a lot of prep work that needs to be done between now and then. Lets see...

My daughter and my husband both want a couple of more pairs of pants made.

I'd like another tunic set like I'm wearing in the above picture.

I'm going to be demonstrating textile arts, so I really should pre-warp my traveling loom.

I have quite a bit of food preparation to get done. This includes making and freezing stew, making oat cakes, drying beef jerky, drying fruit, making 'Kid chow', and brewing up a batch of sekanjabin syrup.

I also have two orders for hand made socks, to be delivered at Estrella.

In addition, we need to pull out the trailer, make sure everything is in working order, and pack.

Not so much, right? Right! So the posts for the next several weeks will be a study in how to prepare for a major camping event. On your marks...get set...GO!



(Oh...for you internet stalkers out there. Just because I'm going to be away from the house does not mean that the house will be empty. Try someone else.)

4 comments:

  1. Have fun. I miss Estrella. Haven't been there longer than you've been going. ;- j Merchants' Row was always my favorite activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make sure I do an extra turn around the Row, just for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Lovables, I see from your profile that you're in Texas somewhere. That would place you in the Kingdom of Ansteorra, and I'd bet there is a local chapter of the SCA somewhere near you. :) http://www.ansteorra.org/

    ReplyDelete