Sunday, January 3, 2010

Christmas on the Dobby loom

I think at this point it is safe to post pictures of this project, because all the recipients should have received their Christmas present by now. I hope!

Some time back, I got a new-to-me dobby loom. I decided I was going to start it up for Christmas this year, and each of my relatives on my side of the family was going to receive a matching hand-woven napkin in Christmas colors. I chose an extended point twill pattern out of the book "8,12...20" (p 64; Fig 134), and did my figuring. I ended up using red and green 8/2 unmercerized cotton set at 22 epi for the warp, and white 10/2 mercerized cotton for the weft.


It was a bit of a learning curve to get the dobby loom warped up. I am used to warping front to back with sticks to separate the warp. The dobby is set up with a raddle in back, and recommends warping extra tightly with paper to separate the warp layers. I eventually got it.




Here is a shot of the front of the loom, with the pattern started. I had to sample for a couple of inches, because when I made the pattern I had some floats that were too long. I also had the warp set too closely on the first try, and had to fiddle with that. I eventually got the pattern dialed in.





My loom wraps the finished fabric right around the front beam, which is new to me. I put about 11 yards of warp on the loom. After cutting off a batch because I had the set too close and had to re-sley, and accounting for loom waste and take up, I still had over 9 yards of finished fabric wound around the beam when I was done. I don't think I could fit much more without it interfering with the weaving process.






I had a hard time deciding which side of the finished fabric I liked more!








And here is the finished project: 15 Christmas napkins. Finished size after hemming was 17 1/2 inches square.



I've decided I really like the dobby. The weaving was simple, once I got it set up properly. Now, to figure out the next project...

1 comment:

  1. How cool that you made those for people for gifts!

    Something they'll cherish FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete