Friday, September 7, 2018

Meet Sophie the studio kitten


I'd like to introduce you to Sophie, my new studio cat. She turned up in my front yard two and a half weeks ago as a half starved foundling. It took me three days to get my hands on her. How did I do it? I have food for outside cats in my garage. (See above.) So that and the ready supply of water in my courtyard pond kept her in the area. Then I sat out in the 110F Arizona heat singing to her until she got used to me being around. Mostly ABBA songs. I had just seen the movie "Mama Mia: Here We Go Again", see. (Hence the name Sophie.) The third day, I was able to grab her, and bring her inside. I still have the bite mark. Scared feral thing!

Today? She is sleek and fluffy and curling up in my lap and purring when she isn't bouncing around the studio doing kitten things. It has taken a lot of work though! I don't think she had any experience with humans before, and was used to being scared all of the time. I have no idea where her mother was, or how she found her way to my front courtyard.

I can't save all of them. But when they come to me? Totally fair game.


So, I'll get back to weaving in a bit. I've got some blue and brown napkins on the loom that are moving slowly, but I'm getting there. These are inspired by an article in the May/June 2013 issue of Handwoven magazine on 4 Block/4 Shaft Summer and Winter. I used that as a jump off point to design my own napkins. I'm liking how it is turning out, but using two shuttles and changing colors and treadling with every block is proving to be a bit of a mental challenge. Every square on these napkins will be slightly different from each other.


 I'll get there. But....kitten!



2 comments:

  1. She is adorable! ours is a rescue also - Lily was found in the marsh eight years ago. She is now my loom room supervisor, along with my grandmother's teddy bear, Sebastian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for loom room supervisors!! And rescues. It is always a question of just who rescued who though. :)

      Delete