Friday, April 5, 2013

Sleying the reed.

Ok, I've been up to my eyeballs with modeling for life drawing classes the past few weeks, but I've finally had the chance to get back into the studio to get cranking on the fabric weaving project I've got. My deadline is the end of the month, so I need to hop to it.

This week? I finished measuring out the 1020 threads, each 14 yards long. I chained them up to keep them organized, and moved them to the front beam of the loom. I temporarily wrapped them around the front beam, so I could work with them from there.


Someone mentioned that it looked kind of like Rapunzel had been here. We decided if that was the case, Rapunzel was a Smurf. And had eight sisters.

It made me giggle.

Today I took the next step of warping, and passed the threads through the reed to spread them out evenly.


I want there to be 30 threads per inch of fabric. I have a reed that has 15 openings each inch, so I figured this would be a snap. Just put two threads in each slot, and I'm good to go. Except? I didn't check if my reed was wide enough for the fabric I had planned. Nope. Half an inch short. Luckily I checked that before I started threading!!

Instead, I pulled out my 12 dent reed (12 slots for each inch), and wandered around the internet to find the best way to still get 30 threads per inch. Yes, I could have done the math. But I'm lazy, and Google works. It turns out that alternating 2 threads per slot and 3 threads per slot does the trick. No problem!

Unless, of course, you are rocking out to Meatloaf songs and not paying attention to what you are doing. In that case, you forget to alternate one time. Which of course messes the pattern up. And crams a few threads too close together, which may or may not show up as a faint stripe in the finished fabric. Luckily, I caught that one only about 3 inches of threading further on. It took me about 20 minutes to fix the goof and  finagle each thread into the proper order, but it all looks correct now. Here's hoping!

Next up? Threading the heddles, so I can raise threads to create a pattern. But that will have to wait. I declare a weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment