Monday, June 6, 2011

Two useful links, and pictures from around Arizona

First, I wanted to share a couple of cool links I found. The first one is to a pattern generator for inkle weaving. I'll be using this next time I plan a band!

http://www.carolingianrealm.info/PatternGenerator.php

The second link is to a site to help with practicing your figure drawing when you don't have access to a model. I'm usually the one up on the stand modeling, so it is nice to have this gadget so I can get behind the easel for awhile.

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

And now, pictures! It was our 22nd wedding anniversary this weekend, so Eric & I took off just the two of us for some time to reconnect. We spent part of our time wandering around the area between Phoenix and Flagstaff, Arizona. Of course, I had to take pictures. Here's a sampling. It doesn't look like the stereotypical desert Arizona scene, does it? Not a cactus in sight.

Wildflowers by Lake Mary:


Ashurst Lake:




























Oak Creek Canyon:


Oak Creek:





13 comments:

  1. Ohhhh that looks like a lovely way to spend your anniversary!!! We celebrated our 22nd last Nov. Wonderful pictures here!!! I'm off to check out your links...xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are breathtaking--especially the creek photos! Boy, I really need a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the anniversary! 22 years of love is very impressive! I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun getaway!! Great pics of what definitely does not look like AZ!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, your pictures are just beautiful! You are blessed to have been married and loved for 22 years. The pictures are from Arizona, I don't doubt, but you just have to know where to look. My middle son & family lived in Sierra Vista, AZ, back in 2002-2003, and worked as Youth Pastors there. They had grass & everything. I didn't get to go visit them there, but I am pretty sure it was similar to where you were. They said it was in the mountains southeast of Tuscon.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that inkle loom link is great! I may have to break out my loom and give it a try, thanks for posting it!.

    The pictures are fantastic too! I've lived in Yuma, Arizona for two years and have yet to see scenes like that, and I go to Phoenix every other month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VernaMarye, there is some beautiful territory in and around Sierra Vista, too. I've gone camping back in Fort Huachuca, and enjoyed pitching my tent under the trees right by a running stream.

    Summer, no there isn't much between Yuma and Phoenix, is there? Go north a bit more still, and take the ride from Sedona up 89A to Flagstaff. Then wander the roads around Flag. There is a lovely lovely pine forest there. There is also beautiful forested areas up by the Grand Canyon, or in the eastern part of the state by ShowLow. Time for some road trips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures and a Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa, I'll have to convince my husband to drive up there, I want to see the Grand Canyon before we leave Arizona! I'm used to the woods in Missouri, so the desert has been so different. It would be nice to see some actual trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer, I grew up around the Chicago area. Every so often I go into tree withdrawal, and need to drive to somewhere green. Well, greener than Phoenix anyway. We visited the north rim of the Canyon coming home on our vacation last summer, and drove through beautiful forest, with grassy meadows full of grazing wild buffalo. Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete