I've been making a pair of seamless wet felted baby booties again. (I did a tutorial on this awhile ago, here: http://tangibledaydreams.blogspot.com/2011/12/tutorial-how-to-make-felt-baby-booties.html .) With some input from the lady who received the pair in the tutorial, I've added a little ribbon weaving in and out around the ankle. This is a nice decorative touch, and helps to keep the booties from slipping (or being pulled) off.
So, yesterday I made a pair of blue felt booties. I didn't have any ribbon handy, but I know how to do finger loop braiding and I have a large stash of weaving yarn. (http://tangibledaydreams.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-basic-finger-loop-braiding.html ) I made up two braids that I thought would go with the booties, and pondered my decision.
The bottom braid was the first one, made of two strands of white cotton crochet thread, and three strands of white/blue variegated crochet thread. I like it, but the white was a bit too bright against the blue felt for the look I was going for. So I tried again with blue and rust cotton cone weaving yarn. The blue is 8/2 cotton, and the rust is...something thinner. The cone wasn't marked. Anyway, this one worked better.
I tried poking a hole in the felt with an awl, but I had a hard time getting the knot at the end of the braid through the tiny hole. I threaded the braid onto a tapestry needle, but when the eye was big enough to take the knot in the braid, it was too big to go through the awl hole.
So, I gave up on the awl and found a tiny pair of embroidery scissors. I used them to snip a small slit in the felt.
This worked much better! I was able to poke the knot through the slit.
Now, I cut another slit a little further on, and poked the braid back through to the outside.
I kept doing that, until I got back around to the front of the bootie on the other side. There were a total of 8 cuts. I evened up the ends, and tied the lace into a bow.
Yup! That ought to do the trick. The booties are finished, and ready to ship out to their new home.