Monday, April 26, 2010

Putting old equipment back to work



I had to trim the Chinese Elm tree the other day, because branches were bending down too far over the sidewalk. I love this tree--it is very fast growing, evergreen, and I don't have to water it here in the AZ desert. I could do without the seedlings it sends out everywhere, but I can deal with that for something that actually looks like a tree.

Anyway, I was looking at the branches, and noticed how nice and straight they are. And I got to thinking about the long term historical weaving project I have planned.




So I went out with my clippers, and found a good sized stick. I whittled the bark off of all but the bottom couple of inches, tapered the top, and carved a notch about an inch below the top.

Then I pulled out a treasure from my stash. A few years ago I bought a Medieval decorated lead spindle whorl from Gaukler Medieval Wares, when they had a booth at Estrella War. The whorl was found in Suffolk. I bought it because I love holding history in my hand (and because it was only $30). Given my SCA involvement, and my love of the textile arts, it had to come home with me. At the time, I was only planning on tucking it away. But...I also love putting old fiber equipment back to work. And this whorl definitely qualifies!

I stuck it on my twig, grabbed some roving, and tried it out.



The resulting drop spindle is a little wobbly (the whorl is not well balanced), but it still spins beautifully!

Here's a closer look.

7 comments:

  1. I have several lead whorls --> did you do anything special to clean them, so you're not getting "lead dust" all over you and injesting lead? I don't know I'm all nervous about injesting lead... I don't normally lick my spindles. *grin* -- Eilidh/Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet, since I was just experimenting yesterday. But I'll consult with my engineer husband, and see if there is a resin I can dip it in. In the meantime, I'm making sure I wash my hands well after each use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband recommended as an inexpensive start to use clear nail polish, or a spray polyurethane clear coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or....I could use a reproduction made of pewter, bought from the Woolery. https://www.woolery.com/Pages/dropspinfr.html . Just put one on order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a great idea! I, too, drooled over those whorls at Estrella, and ended up not buying them because I was worried about the lead content. They also had some ceramic reproductions that I bought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a great idea! I, too, drooled over those whorls at Estrella, and ended up not buying them because I was worried about the lead content. They also had some ceramic reproductions that I bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got worried about it too, for long use. So I found a good pewter reproduction from the Woolery. http://www.woolery.com/Store/pc/Medieval-Spindles-c281.htm

      Delete