Thursday, June 17, 2010

More gourds

Here in Phoenix, AZ, we have cliff swallows that build their nests under bridges and overpasses, and on buildings. They also build in cliffs in the wild, but are adaptable birds. I love to see them swooping around when I drive by. The gourd vase that I finished up yesterday was inspired by them. I traced images of the birds in flight, and transferred them onto the gourd with wood burning. Then I added layers of leather dye, and a rim treatment of waxed linen. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

















And now, I'm working on another lidded bowl, with teneriffe weaving. This is the first time I used some of the blue leather dyes, and I'm happy with the colors. I've got the gourd cleaned and dyed, and the basic web strung for the weaving. Tomorrow will be the freeform fun part! I've got purple, tan, blue, and black waxed linen. I don't really have a plan--just a general outline that I'll play with as the mood strikes me. It will be interesting to see what develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment