Sunday, November 8, 2009

Gryphon Song Gems

I was out at an SCA (sca.org) event this weekend, and had a lovely time of it. I spent most of the time today sitting in the shade of a pavilion, spinning yarn from a fleece a friend gave me, watching warriors in shining armor very politely whaling on each other with swords.



While I was there, I had the opportunity to spend some time chatting with Epaul Fischer, the artist behind Gryphon Song Gems. You can find him at http://gemartist.com/. I am lucky enough to own several of his pieces. I have a labradorite medallion that is carved with the symbol of the laurel, and a set of copper and black enamel buttons with my heraldry on them. And very soon I will be the owner of his first pewter heraldic buttons. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out! I'm also envious of a couple of my friends, who have hand carved heraldic signet rings, that actually work to make impressions in wax seals.

Today, he had with him a couple of broaches that he was making for the champions of our local SCA baronies. He was in the process of getting the enameling on them right.

















He had also recently had one of the coronets he had made on display in a gallery. The show was done, so he was returning it to its owner. Isn't it gorgeous? He did the metal work, and carved the jade leaves and shamrocks. The leaves indicate the wearer's rank, and the shamrocks are from the wearer's individual heraldry. You can't see it in the picture, but the stone in the central medallion has a dragon carved into it. It is a breath taking piece, totally suited to the individual.





























I love seeing the marvelous works of art that get created in this group! But I am desperately trying to convince myself that I really don't need to pick up yet another hobby...



EDIT: Here's his description of the coronet: "Duke Arthur O'Flaherty's court coronet. Each set of strawberry leaves is carved from a single piece of jade. Front has Amber w/ carved dragon set in metal Sun, sides have shamrock's in faux emerald and malachite. Entire coronet 24 karat gold plated."

No comments:

Post a Comment